Lost teeth are a common problem many adults face. At Significance Dental Specialists, we help our patients by offering convenient dentures and dental implants in Las Vegas, NV. We work with every patient to determine the best treatment, and encourage our patients to invest in long-lasting implants whenever practical.
The Drawbacks of Dentures
The most common solution for missing teeth is a set of dentures. These are made of acrylic that resemble the natural look of teeth. They can restore some functions, but have several drawbacks:
• Jaw Bone Deterioration – Without the roots of your teeth, your jaw bone dissolves overtime.
• Unstable – Your plate can slip and fall while eating or talking.
• Temporary – They only last five to seven years before wearing out.
As you age, your dentures will need to be readjusted to fit the changing shape of your jaw. Eventually you will lose enough of your bone structure that this is no longer possible. You will need to rely on adhesives to keep your dentures in place. This limits your ability to speak and chew and alters the structure of your face.
How Dental Implants Benefit You
Implants are a permanent replacement for your natural teeth. They are cosmetically identical to your teeth, and they function in much the same way. Unlike dentures, they are designed to last the rest of your life.
A dental grade titanium stud is inserted into your jaw. A few weeks after the initial surgery, the bone integrates with the metal during the healing process, creating a permanent bond that securely anchors your new tooth.
This has several advantages:
• No more loss of jaw bone structure
• Eat and talk as you normally would
• No additional cleaning or maintenance beyond brushing and flossing
• Eliminates the pain of eating with dentures
Not everyone is capable of having implants installed right away. Sometimes a bone graft is necessary to build up the strength of the jaw. If you would like to find out if you are a candidate for dental implants, contact our office at 1-844-800-8921 to schedule a consultation.